Text and Book
Cassata Drone problematises Sicilian linguistic and culinary tradition (cassata, from the Arabic quas’at) in relation to its geopolitical and military culture, from the post-war period to the present (drone).
On the one hand, Sicilian Cassata becomes the focus for a visual investigation of decoration, taste and language.
Cassata siciliana is a traditional sweet from all areas of Sicily, born in Palermo. Cassata consists of round sponge cake moistened with fruit juices or liqueur and layered with ricotta cheese and candieds (which are also cannoli’s filling).
On the other, the word Drone opens a space for transforming the presence of military devices (Frontex, Hawk Drone, Predator Drone, MUOS) into aesthetic forms, making Sicily a natural strategic “aircraft carrier” in the Mediterranean Sea. Critical essays will be released on this page.
Firmly situating Désolé (www.cassatadrone.org/desole) within the wider frame of the project, Cassata Drone Expanded Archive presents its first storybook, a contextual resource referencing the perennial nature of Cassata Drone’s incubating design themes: Cassata Siciliana as a metaphor for colonial stratification and UCAVs (unmanned combative aerial vehicles) as a ferocious reality of the Sicilian landscape. First portable edition followed by a larger catalog with unpublished materials by:
Analogique Studio, Cesare Biasini Selvaggi, Alexander Darkish, Carmelo Lucchesi, Ignazio Mortellaro, Raqs Media Collective, Giovanni Rendina, Mariella Rossi, Ilenia Vecchio, Katiuscia Pompili, Sasvatii Santamaria, Clairefontaine, Giuseppina Vara, Izabela Anna Moren, Bruno Camargo. Publication made possible thanks to Goethe Institut Palermo.
To have your please Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Ananas e Prosciutto. Pizza Sigonella, text by Simona Squadrito (tale from Sigonella (Catania, Sicily), in italian language)
- Sensations, text by Izabela Anna Moren on “Cassata Connections” party feat. Joie Jacono, Alexander Darkish (eng. text)
- Non ha prezzo, text by Mattia Pajè on Cassata Drone experience (italian text)
- Sul Camminare, text by Teresa Satta on Cassata Drone walkscape (Sigonella – Palermo March-April 2018) experience (italian text)
- Oakwalkdrone, cork oak forest or yew tree? text by Tiziana La Melia (english text)
- Un’intima solare nostalgia, PAW 2021, racconto de “Riders on the Storm” opera di g. olmo stuppia a Palazzo Riso Museo di Arte Contemporanea della Sicilia , text by Sergio Minaldi (Italian text)